Salary: £24,000 per annum
Based in Shoreditch, London
A great opportunity for Graduate Structural Engineers to join Blue Engineering in one of the four engineering teams. We will be looking for someone who has likely just completed their Engineering degree; is eager to learn and gain valuable experience. You will be process & results orientated, ambitious, hands on, and looking to actively develop your abilities within Blue Engineering.
You will be joining a team consisting of a Senior Engineer, a Project and/or Design Engineer, a Technician, and an Apprentice. You will be working with the team to scheme, design, coordinate, draw and check our projects. You will not prepare any drawings for issuing; You will be responsible for preparing the designs for drawing and coordinating risks, options, and opportunities with the Architects. For more senior engineers, responsibilities will include maintaining client relationships and work winning.
Responsibilities vary significantly with experience and knowledge. However, the common themes are:
- You will prepare good quality and well-reasoned designs.
- You will coordinate designs with Architects and Clients in a service orientated manner.
- You will help with keeping the team’s workload organised by reporting on your progress.
- You will have an internal project which will tangibly improve Blue.
- You will carry out site visits for projects
- You will continue to develop your career both inside and outside of work.
Who are we?
Blue Engineering is a leading structural engineering consultancy specialising in residential refurbishment and new bespoke home projects. We are unique in the industry due to the way we go about solving problems and growing the business. We have an excellent Client retention rate and are preparing for high growth via expanding the number of Clients we regularly service.
Blue currently employs nearly 30 staff and have a great office in Hoxton Square. You will be joining a forward-thinking group who embrace modern business practices working towards supplying our Clients with the best products and services.
At Blue, whether individually or as a collective, we are all guided by our values. They are the driving force of our culture and for Blue to succeed, it is important that everyone who joins us, can relate to them. We have six commitments:
Transparency, Innovation, Authenticity, Interdependency, Longevity, Wellness
Curated by a focus group of Blue’s employees, of varying roles, ages and experience; we believe that these values can lead to a prosperous working relationship, not only with our Clients and Architects, but internally within Blue’s family.
A typical day
- Going on a site visit in the morning
- Coming into the office and scheming a project
- Sitting down with the team to discuss design changes/ideas
- In the afternoon, having a workload meeting to run through resources/project timelines
- Call with the client
- Putting together calculation packages
Your knowledge, skills, and behaviour
- To be curious and enjoy exploring what is possible when presented with a challenge.
- To have a Civil Engineering degree from the UK or equivalent. Have an understanding of the Eurocodes and how they applied in the UK. Are comfortable designing from first principles.
- To be comfortable driving and managing your own workload and proactive in gathering the information or support that you need.
- To communicate effectively between your team and with other design professionals.
- To be professional and well presented.
- On site work experience will be beneficial for this role.
Things to consider
- Must live within 1 hour regular commuting distance to London. If your regular commute will be longer than 1 hour, this is not in keeping with a healthy work/life balance.
- Have full eligibility to work in the UK – no work permit visa available.
- This is primarily an office-based role working at a desk using a computer for most of the day – option to work from home.
- We use AutoCAD for our drawings, TEKLA and ROBOT for analysis and design and the Microsoft Office 365 suite for emails, document writing, etc. You do not need prior knowledge of these, but you would be expected to learn the pieces of software quickly so prior knowledge of some design and drawing software is essential.
Blue Engineering offer all staff a wealth of benefits which we are continually seeking to improve. We provide: ability to buy more holiday, flexible working, interest free loans, the cycle to work scheme, matched charitable donations, financial coaching, access to the annual personal development fund, paid NHS prescriptions, eye tests, working from home support, two-week quarantine allowance, referral rewards, subsidised design and make projects, cross-company partnerships, 5-a-side football, an annual trip away and a fun Christmas afternoon party to top it off.